Strep throat is an infection from a streptococcus pyogenes or streptococcal bacteria. Because the infection is contagious the infected person should be careful when sneezing or when handling certain things that will be used by others. The person should be examined if the bacteria are present in the throat to be treated at once and prevent it from getting worse. If the case is minor, it doesn’t need too much medication but some home remedies that can soothe it might be of help.
Medical treatment using antibiotics can be effective for a long time. There are also nourishments that can boost up the immune system and lessen the throat inflammation. The following can help soothe the pain of having the infection:
- Walnut. Walnut has vitamin E that helps in boosting the immune system and also has anti-inflammatory agents that can reduce the swelling of the throat.
- Quercetin is a compound that helps prevent the enzyme production that is the reason for having swelling and inflammation. This compound can be found in onions, broccoli, red wines, red grapes and apples.
- An antioxidant called anthocyanins can helps lessen the hazards of inflammation and strengthens the immune system. This antioxidant can be found in blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries.
- Another antioxidant, carotenoids that can help in the treatment and reduces the inflammation. Sweet potatoes, spinach, papayas, mangoes and carrots are the foods where you can found the antioxidant.
- A food that is commonly used for the said infection is garlic that has sulfur compounds. Sulfur compounds help in improving the immune system’s function, activates natural killer and the T helper cells. It also has an anti-inflammatory property that lessens the swelling of the throat.
- There are also herbs and spices that can help in the treatment of the infection.
- Other commonly used for the treatment are Sage and fenugreek.
- Make a marigold tea that is said to be very effective in reducing soreness and throat inflammation.
- Beberin an alkaloid compound that can be found in goldenseal is an effective remedy for pain that is caused by the infection. This compound makes the mucous membrane numb and instantly relieves the pain.
- Cool drinks can also help in relieving the inflammation.
- It is also advisable to suck ice chips or cubes to soothe the irritation of the throat.
- Gargling lukewarm salted water can be the best to lessen the irritation, alleviate the pain and reduce the swelling.
It is better to avoid things that may trigger this infection than to search for soothing remedies for the inflammation. Strep throat can be prevented if you just stay away from a person infected by it and avoid it from getting worse.